XE100 Series of Ethernet Controllers
High Performance Networking for Enterprise Virtualization and the Cloud
The Emulex Engine™ (XE)100 series (Skyhawk™) of Ethernet Controllers provides a single chip, which can support single-port 40Gb Ethernet (40GbE) or up to four ports of 10GbE/1GbE capability delivering multiple benefits for the enterprise cloud, including:
- Increasing data center IT agility and scalability through deployment of a secure multi-tenant cloud
- Driving scalability and flexibility in converged infrastructures
- Optimizing server hardware utilization by scaling high density virtualization
The XE100 series of 10GbE and 40GbE controllers are designed for the high bandwidth and flexibility demands of enterprise applications with storage protocol (Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) and iSCSI) offloads, more scalable virtualization, support for RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) fabric, enhanced Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV), Network Interface Card (NIC) port partitioning, and cloud optimization using overlay network technology. The controllers also features innovative, purpose-built hardware architecture to carry network and storage traffic over a single full-duplex 40GbE port or four 10GbE/1GbE ports.
- Single chip solution for LAN on Motherboard (LOM)
- Storage devices support iSCSI and FCoE initiator, target modes, NIC and RoCE in embedded environments
- Maximizes server hardware return on investment (ROI) with high VM density
- Simplifies deployment of secure, scalable multi-tenant cloud infrastructures
- Minimizes TCO through deployment of heterogeneous workloads on Converged Infrastructure
- Accelerates applications and storage performance
- Provides the bandwidth needed for slot constrained server platforms
- Reduces complexity through the deployment of a common network platform
- Reduces management, infrastructure and energy costs
- Integrated 40GBASE-KR4, 10GBASE-KR and 1000BASE-KX PHY interfaces for LOM and backplane applications
- Superior network convergence—storage and network traffic over a common 10GbE or 40GbE infrastructure
- Data acceleration with RoCE support
Powerful hardware offloads for:
- Overlay networks (NVGRE & VXLAN)
- Storage protocols: iSCSI and FCoE
- Stateless TCP
- Greater bandwidth with PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0
- VMware vSphere NetQueue support
- Microsoft Windows Server VMQ & Dynamic VMQ support
Extensible protocol offload architecture
The Emulex XE100 series of Ethernet Controllers utilizes an innovative combination of high performance hardware-based data path elements for protocol data movement and industry-standard embedded processors for protocol control path. Hardware-based isolation between offloaded protocols ensures precise control over bandwidth allocation and sharing across network and storage traffic. Protocol offload features, bandwidth allocation and management features are exposed through industry standard interfaces.
Emulex Virtual Network Exceleration™ (VNeX) overlay network offloads for multi-tenant cloud networking
Scaling existing technologies for private or public multi-tenant infrastructures requires networking solutions that can enable virtual machine (VM)-to-VM communication and virtual workload migration across Layer 2 and Layer 3 boundaries without impacting connectivity or performance.
At the same time, these solutions need to ensure isolation and security for thousands or millions of tenant networks. However, with existing technology, the available 4094 virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) IDs are insufficient to isolate and secure each tenant in a private or hybrid cloud data center.
Virtual Extensible Local Area Network (VXLAN), supported by VMware, and Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation (NVGRE), supported by Microsoft, are next generation overlay networking solutions that address these requirements. These solutions are a frame-in-frame data packet encapsulation scheme enabling the creation of virtualized Layer 2 subnets that can span physical L3 IP networks. Traffic from each VM is tunneled to a specific virtual network; the packets are then routed transparently over the existing physical infrastructure.
Emulex VNeX offload technology powered by a multi-core ASIC engine accelerates the performance of network virtualization by preserving legacy stateless TCP offloads and scaling methods on encapsulated packets, providing full native network performance in a virtual network environment.
The XE100 Controllers leverage RoCE enabling server to server data movement directly between application memory without any CPU involvement providing high throughput and data acceleration on a standard Ethernet fabric without the need for any specialized infrastructure or management.
Flexible workload storage connectivity with FCoE and iSCSI offloads
XE100 Controllers support FCoE hardware-based offload using the same enterprise-class Emulex drivers that work with Emulex LightPulse® Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters (HBAs). XE100 controllers also support iSCSI hardware-based offload, providing performance that is superior to iSCSI solutions based on software initiators and basic NICs. Finally, XE100 series of Ethernet Controllers also have the ability to support simultaneous iSCSI and FCoE hardware offloads concurrently with NIC traffic on the same port (i.e. concurrent storage).
Optimized host virtualization density with SR-IOV support
SR-IOV optimizes I/O for VMs, enabling higher host server virtualization ratios to deliver maximum server ROI. SR-IOV provides a more cost-effective solution than multiple, physical ports.
SR-IOV enables multiple VMs to directly access the XE100 series of Ethernet Controllers I/O resources, thus allowing VM networking I/O to bypass the host and take a path directly between the VM and the controller, eliminating redundant I/O processing in the hypervisor. This, in turn, allows higher I/O performance, lower CPU utilization and reduced latency as compared to the alternative of software-emulated NIC devices that are implemented in the hypervisor.
Optimized bandwidth allocation with Emulex Universal Multi-Channel™ port partitioning
Emulex Universal Multi-Channel (UMC) is ideal for virtualized server environments because bandwidth allocation can be optimized to support VM migration, management and I/O intensive applications. UMC allows multiple PCIe physical functions (PFs) to be created on each controller port. Each XE100 controller can be configured with up to sixteen functions.
The key benefits of deploying Emulex UMC technology include:
Lower total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Consolidates multiple 1GbE adapters, associated cables and switch ports
- Higher VM workload bandwidth allocation to drive higher VM density on host servers
- Lower per-Gb bandwidth cost compared to deploying multiple 1GbE adapters
Optimized I/O utilization
- Granular bandwidth provisioning minimizes wasted idle bandwidth and waste of dedicated 1GbE adapters
- Enables Service Level Agreement (SLA)-based provisioning and deployment
- UMC is not dependent on specialized operating system (OS) support
- Works with any 10GbE or 40GbE switch
UMC is ideal for virtualized server environments because bandwidth allocation can be optimized to support I/O intensive applications, VM migration, and management functions.
Simplified management: OneCommand® Manager application
The OneCommand Manager application provides centralized management of products based on the XE100 series of Ethernet Controllers throughout the data center from a single management console. The OneCommand Manager application provides a graphical user interface and a scriptable command line user interface. OneCommand Manager for VMware is fully integrated with VMware vCenter to simplify management for virtual server deployments.
Fourth generation platform delivers enterprise-class reliability and performance
Leveraging generations of advanced, field-proven controller and adapter technology, XE100 Controllers meet the robust interoperability and reliability requirements of enterprise and scale-out data centers.
|Ordering Part #||XE104-P1 - XE104 40GbE CNA Controller (NIC, standard RoCE, hardware offloaded iSCSI and FCoE)|
|Power Supply||1.8V, 1.5V, 1.2V, 0.9V|
|Package Type||562-pin FCBGA package, 27 mm x 27 mm package size|
|Host Bus Type||x8 lane PCI Express® 3.0|
|Industry Standards||IEEE 802.1AB Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP), IEEE 802.1Q VLAN, IEEE 802.1Qaz Enhanced Transmission Selection (ETS), IEEE 802.1Qbb Priority Flow Control (PFC), IEEE 802.1Qbg Edge Virtual Bridging, IEEE 802.3ad (Link Aggregation), IEEE 802.3an 10GBASE-T, IEEE 802.3x Flow control with Pause frames, Single IEEE 802.3-2012 40GBASE Ethernet port (40GBASE-SR4/40GBASE-CR4)|
|Regulatory Certifications||RoHS (lead free) compliant, including China RoHS|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 70°C|