Hermetically Sealed, Low IF, Wide Vcc, High Gain Optocouplers
The 6N140A is a commercial grade four channel hermetically sealed optocoupler in a 16-Pin ceramic DIP package with gold plated leads. Solder dipped leads and various lead form options are also available. See the datasheet for details.
The product is capable of operation and storage over the full mil temp range and may also be purchased with full MIL-PRF-38534 Class H or K level testing, or from the appropriate DSCC SMD (83024 for Class H, 5962-98002 for Class K). The 6N140A is manufactured and tested on a MIL-PRF-38534 certified line and Class H and K versions are included in the DSCC Qualified Manufacturers List QML-38534 for Hybrid Microcircuits.
Each channel contains a GaAsP light emitting diode which is optically coupled to an integrated high gain photon detector. The high gain output stage features an open collector output providing both lower saturation voltage and higher signaling speed than possible with conventional photo-Darlington optocouplers. The shallow depth and small junctions offered by the IC process provides better radiation immunity than conventional photo transistor optocouplers.
The supply voltage can be operated as low as 2.0 V without adversely affecting the parametric performance. These devices have a 300% minimum CTR at an input current of only 0.5 mA making them ideal for use in low input current applications such as MOS, CMOS, low power logic interfaces or line receivers. Compatibility with high voltage CMOS logic systems is assured by specifying Icch and Ioh at 18 Volts.
Package styles available for this die set with one, two or for channels are 8 and 16-Pin DIP through hole, 16-Pin surface mount DIP flat pack, and 20 pad leadless ceramic chip carrier. Most devices may be purchased with a variety of lead forms and plating options. See datasheet for details.
Because the same electrical die (emitters and detectors) are used for each channel of each device listed in the datasheet, absolute maximum ratings, recommended operating conditions, electrical specifications, and performance characteristics shown in the datasheet figures are virtually identical for all parts. Occasional exceptions exist due to package variations and limitations and are as noted. Additionally, the same package assembly processes and materials are used in all devices. These similarities give justification for the use of data obtained from one part to represent other parts performance for reliability and certain limited radiation test results.
- Commercial Grade, Four Channel, 16-Pin DIP
- Performance Guaranteed from -55oC to 125o C
- High Radiation Immunity
- Reliability Data
- MIL-PRF-38534 Class H and Class K Available
- Five Hermetically Sealed Package Configurations Available
- One and Two Channel Devices Available (different package)
- Low Input Current Requirement: 0.5 mA
- High Current Transfer Ratio: 1500% Typical @ IF = 0.5 mA
- Low Output Saturation Voltage: 0.11 V Typical
- 1500 Vdc Withstand Test Voltage
- Military and Aerospace
- High Reliability Systems
- Transportation, Medical, and Life Critical Systems
- Telephone Ring Detection
- Microprocessor System Interface
- EIA RS-232-C Line Receiver
- Voltage Level Shifting
- Isolated Input Line Receiver
- Isolated Output Line Driver
- Logic Ground Isolation
- Current Loop Receiver
- System Test Equipment Isolation
- Process Control Input/Output Isolation
- Harsh Industrial Environments
Data Sheets & Technical Specifications
- Data Sheet - 6N140A Family Hermetically Sealed, IF, Wide VCC, High Gain Optocoupler (201 KB,PDF)
- Technical Specification - Class level build comparison (64 KB,PDF)
- White Paper - Using Hermetic Optocouplers in Military and Space Electronics (338 KB,PDF)
- Application Note - AN 1043 Common Mode Noise: Sources Solutions (77 KB,PDF)
- Application Note - AN 1087; Thermal Data for Avago Optocouplers (259 KB,PDF)
- Application Note - Radiation Immunity Hermetic Optocouplers, Applications Note 1023 (143 KB,PDF)
Product Change Notices
- Product Changes Notice (PCN) - Change Notification, HOC207, June 1999 (14 KB,PDF)
- Product Changes Notice (PCN) - Change Notification, HOC210, February 2000 (12 KB,PDF)
- Product Changes Notice (PCN) - PCN: A05-001-475179-0A, JUL. 2005 (374 KB,PDF)
- Product Changes Notice (PCN) - PCN: V06-214-475316-0A, HOC214, Aug. 2006 (13 KB,PDF)
- Product Changes Notice (PCN) - V10-218-475316-0A, HOC218 April 2010 (15 KB,PDF)